Because I'm a little hopeful....

This year is going to end a little early for me….from the energy in the air, it seems most people are just done already…and for obvious reasons. I’m ready for the New Year too, albeit this time round with a lot more appreciation, and better balance between expectations and reality for each passing day….because Covid aside, life in general is very unpredictable. It is also one huge learning curve, with rewards and lessons in equal measure and a lot of special moments. Well, it’s the special moments that we long for…but unpredictable as life is, chasing happiness and fulfilment is like trudging through fog…even with the best laid plans, we can only see so far… because of that, what lies even further….we bank on hope.


With this in mind, the intent is to savour every passing moment, and to cherish the people that make them special. To hold them a little closer, to love them a little better, to show them they matter more that they would know….to treasure the little things,…the simple hello texts from friends that we have….and the ones who got away,the good memories we can only re-visit…and the future we hope for…to be gentler with people’s hearts…and to give ourselves a fair chance every time we fall short…


Well, the year is ending early because I’d like to give myself a little head start for the New Year….a few weeks or months of rehearsal for what I envision for next year. What’s a new year without resolutions right?….it’s that time when the universe gives you hints that it’s time to stop, hit the snooze button and reset….that time has come early this year…


Planning resolutions for me, usually is drafting a mental note of things I wish to accomplish. A practical step by step 'to-do' list of sorts.While It’s easy to plan to be deliberate about what to do, we might need an even stronger will power to follow through. Because often times, waves of different emotions,  and the state of our mental well being might trump over the best intentions....


I once asked a friend whether he thinks our great grandparents had struggles like anxiety, depression and all the mental health issues we experience today…well he said we humans are made with an instinct for survival, our great grandparents fought with spears and swords, we are fighting with our minds….


Well, my resolution for this year is to be more intentional about my emotions instead…..and to train my mind to be even more intentional about my thought process…

To pay attention  to  what I’m feeling, why I’m feeling that way and how Im reacting to it….


To ask myself often….


Is how I’m feeling and reacting beneficial to my general mental health?


Do I need to feel different? How can I change it?


What triggers these feelings?


I want to plan my feelings in advance, so I don’t waste too much time trying to figure out what I am really feeling about certain situations.


I want to set a time limit for feeling a particular way….especially if it’s not helping.


We are bound to experience disappointment, anger, frustrations and general feelings of unhappiness, often at the expense of our potential. Well feeding such emotions our time and energy is only a road to a downward spiral…


Entertaining needless drama, holding on to anger and beating ourselves up over poor decisions is not only exhausting, it’s completely unnecessary.


Well I pray that for 2021, we have a lot less of that….that we continue to be in a good mental space to enable us  follow through with our plans, that we dwell less on what isn’t working and more on what’s working for us.To have the courage to let go of any regrets we might have, to see ourselves in a better light, to love ourselves and others in equal measure, to be our biggest cheerleader, to give ourselves chances to start over as many times as we might need, to invest the best of us in ourselves, and others. To strive less for perfection and more for improvement of the person we become each single day, to dream bigger and to have the faith and confidence that we will achieve our dreams. To speak up more, to be bold, to be happy, to make more friends to sing, to dance to travel, to spend time with people we like,….to do that which makes us whole. To check on our friends and family. To be our brothers and sisters keepers, to ask if they are okay, to make less assumptions and ask more questions.

To be grateful, to be thankful to God and to be more in touch with our spirituality..


Because we have sins to be forgiven...


HAPPY NEW YEAR 😊 
.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anything but tidy….

A close shave

My two cents...